Chartered in 1986 by the Rotary Club of Williamstown from a disparate group of business individuals the Rotary Club of Point Gellibrand has weathered well to become a cohesive team of Rotarians within District 9800 in Australia.
Christened ‘The Gellibabies’ after attending their first district conference chaperoned by the Rotary Club of Williamstown where the spirit of the ‘Gellibabies’ emerged from a team of committed Rotarians short on ceremony but big on fun and dedicated to service above self.
The Gellibabies have generated a number of district officers with Mark Sheahan being Assistant District Governor and Group Study Exchange leader and The late Jeffrey Bird being District Governor in 1997-8
More district information is available http://www.rotarydistrict9800.org.au
Our Current President 2019-2020 is Mario Vella, The Club meets each Tuesday (Daylight saving period) and then fortnightly at all other times at the Royal Victorian Motor Yacht Club 260 Nelson Place Williamstown 6-15pm for 6.30 pm for dinner. Members enjoy one of the best views of Melbourne and the venue has the capacity to cater for upwards of 150 guests.
Meetings are conducted in a convivial atmosphere with fun being the underlying theme but our guest speakers often challenge our thinking and create further avenues for service both locally and internationally.
Our projects are usually hands on projects, raising funds to support worthwhile causes within our community, including, For a Meal, Bushfire relief support, Challenge Kids with cancer, Western Health’s BreastWest Foundation., Williamstown literacy festival. Providing scholarships to 2 children at Williamstown High School. Providing ongoing support for Rotary’s Polio Plus project aimed at the total eradication of poliomyelitis across the globe.
More information of Rotary International projects is available from:-
Our Recent Work includes:-
- Support for Challenge cancer through a Pirates day where upwards of 100 kids and their parents are entertained with a Pirates water fight, face painting, on land entertainment and BBQ. A dad’s weekend away is also included in the annual calendar so that families affected by juvenile cancer get the opportunity to let dad have a respite ‘Up the Bush’ at Mathoura on the Murray.
- Bush fire Relief, supporting youth affected by the ravages of the tragic bush fires.
- Focus on literacy through support for the ‘Friends of Williamstown Libraries’ summer writing competition, The Williamstown Literary Festival and a junior school English literacy programme in Nepal.
- Many support programs and funds to local schools.
- and our ‘adopted’ drought ravaged families in the community in Gilgandra near Dubbo NSW.
Other Beneficiaries for our Support Include:-
- Williamstown Lifesaving Club
- Sandridge Lifesaving Club
- Williamstown High School
- Bayside Secondary College
- Redskins Basketball Club
- Walter & Eliza Hall Institute Breast Cancer Research
- National Breast Cancer Foundation
- Hobsons BayToy Library
- Mental Health Week Festival
Rotary Club of Point Gellibrand Inc
Charter No 23943
Company Number A0016954G
ABN No 47 063 471 328
Fundraising Registration No 10491.12.