Big Bay Swim continues after 30 successful years
After 30 successful years, including its best ever race on 24 February 2019,the Rotary Club of Point Gellibrand Williamstown today announced the Jalna Big Bay Swim will now be run by the Williamstown Swimming and Lifesaving Club
The Big Bay Swim is an annual 3.2 kilometre open water race from Sandridge LSC in Port Melbourne to Gem Pier in Williamstown.
A favourite on the Great Victorian Swim Series calendar, in its 30 years the Big Bay Swim has:
- Raised almost $500,000 for charity groups, including Challenge Cancer, the 20th Man Foundation, Open Family and many other organisations;
- Cheered 4,500 participants across the finish line;
- Had support from some of the biggest names in Australian swimming, including Chloe McCardle, Michael Klim, Rob Woodhouse and many time winner Sam Sheppard;
- Amassed approximately 10,000 volunteer hours from more than 20 organisations and individuals (see below).
Our wonderful Major Sponsor, Jalna Pot Set Yoghurt has been with us for eleven years and provided many thousands of dollars to assist us to run the Swim and do the good work of Rotary supporting people and charity organisations who are less fortunate than ourselves .
Another generous sponsor and contributor to our event over many years is Rotary’s very own Bruce McCracken his businesses Mech N Air, Fitzgerald constructions and Yarra Engineering have provided long standing support to the Big Bay Swim.
The Big Bay Swim is organised and run by the Rotary Club of Point Gellibrand Williamstown. Club President Mario Vella said: “We’re proud of what we’ve achieved over the 30 years of the event –hosted many talented swimmers, raised a significant amount of money and had a lot of fun along the way.
The Big Bay Swim team thanks the following organisations and people for their contributions:
- Ambulance Victoria
- Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club
- Sandridge Life Saving Club
- Royal Victorian Motor Yacht Club
- Rotary Club of Point Gellibrand
- Royal Yacht Club of Victoria
- Local Williamstown traders who have donated over the 30 years
- Dozens of minor sponsors who have shown continuous support over the years
- Current and past members of the Rotary Club of Point Gellibrand Williamstown
- Countless individuals in the Williamstown community.
The 31st swim will be held on Sunday February 23 2020 continuing tradition being the last Sunday in February
Further details contact Iain Dickson 0478 416004 Williamstown Swimming & Lifesaving Club (inc)
To find out more,here